Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What Does a Hiring Manager Look for in a Resume?

What does the hiring manager look for when they scan a resume? I have been in hiring positions for close to 30 years. I have hired entry level, technical, administrative, operational and executive positions in large and small companies. The industries cover manufacturing, service and consumer industries. I have seen thousands of resumes.

The situation typically looks like this. There are specific objectives to achieve for the company. Now picture that as the hiring manager there is a vacancy and I need someone to take on that position. It may impact the objectives so the need is urgent. Human Resources place an ad or I contact a recruiter. Either way I typically end up with resumes. Regardless of whether they have been pared down or whether I see them all there are key points that will make one stand out over another and compel me to look closer.

Key #1
Is it readable? Is it filled with fluff that is unimportant? Did the applicant waste my time and take up space making it more of a chore with an employment or career objective? It may even have a reason why I should look closely at their resume. It rarely matches the job for which they have applied. If the information is applicable to the position again, I am more compelled to look at it closely.

I am looking for useful information that may tell me the person is qualified for the position. It should compel me to want to talk to them. Facts tell me that, especially if they are clear, concise and pertain to the position.

Key #2
Is every position with every company listed with the month and year they started and completed or left the company? If I am suspicious of a gap then I automatically wonder what else they may not be forthright about. On the other hand, I see a gap I can easily ask about it and move forward. I don’t care how many pages it takes if it gives me a more complete picture of the person’s career.

Key#3
What accomplishments have they had in each position over their career? Are they quantifiable? Did they impact directly or indirectly the bottom line of the company? Remember, I have objectives to achieve and I may see this person as a team member that will help that achievement. Even if not quantifiable, did they have a role in the success of the company or department?

The person that has supplied the right type and kind of information will get my attention every time. As a hiring manager I am not looking for fluff but information that will give me hope the author can make an impact. If I see the potential, I will interview them.

Join us at www.careertrackexperts.com to learn how to take charge of your own search and results. See our credentials and qualifications. We are conducting an entire series of webinars for a complete job search.

No comments:

Post a Comment